Thursday, May 13, 2010

Time for the Medical Profession to Come in to the 21st Century

I had to go for a follow up visit to the Doctor today and I'm not impressed with what I saw.  My file was a folder with sheets for each visit attached and the Doctor (not my usual) was working her way through the pages to see where I was and what I was in for.  It was bulky.  It was cumbersome and took longer than it should have.

Why isn't the office networked.   Why can't the Doctor's see your history at a glance?  Why can't the nurses who take the vitals enter them real time. Frankly, I didn't have much confidence as the Doctor  tried to figure out what the previous Doctor had done what drugs I was taking, how often, what the dosages were.

Even Wal-Mart's automotive department has portable networked scanners where your car id is entered in, what you are there for is entered in and everything is done electronically.  Yet Doctor's offices remain in the 19th century.  Come on Doctors - it's 2010.  Network your offices and get some IPADS and join us in the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment